Welcome!

The Navy's traditions live on in the hearts of those who serve

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Iranian combat ships off the east coast of America

This was an interesting story to read.  A couple of Iranian Navy ships are supposedly off the east coast of the United States.  A question came quickly into my mind when I read this.  Who, what country, refueled and replenished these ships?  Trust me, you can't steam, from Iran to Norfolk Virginia on one tank of gas!  Not to mention groceries!

Second, I wonder if the Iranian Navy has got any better at maintaining equipment?   I taught Iranians at Gun School at Great Lakes back in the 1970's.   That was when the Shah was in power and Iran was our friend.  Those Iranians could not or did not want to do anything that looked like manual labor.  So, I wonder who actually operated the ship's systems and fixed them when they failed.  It certainly was not an Iranian sailor unless the Iranian culture has drastically changed!  Which I strongly doubt.

Third question;  Who cares!  So they can steam a ship or two from Iran to the east coast of the United States.  It has been done before.  So don't call Ripley's Believe It of Not!   Let's see them fight, put out fires, control flooding, and repair the ship!  Chances are, based on my exposure to Iranians, they will throw their arms up in the air at the first sound of fighting!

One of my best friends, Master Chief James Smith, of Placervile, California, a Gunner's Mate extraordinaire, went to Iran, at the Iranian Naval Training Center, on the Caspian Sea.  As I have written before, James was a tough man who took nothing from anyone, regardless of the circumstances.  An Iranian Naval Officer called him a liar, and Jim punched the Iranian Officer turning him into a crumpled heap on the floor after that one punch.  The Navy was told to get Jim out of the country in 48 hours or the Shah would have him executed!   True story, I verified it with two separate individuals, one the Officer in Charge of the U.S. Navy contingent in Iran!

What is the point of this story?  The Iranians collapse at the first blow of a fight.  I have no reason to think they will fight a ship any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment