Welcome!

The Navy's traditions live on in the hearts of those who serve

Friday, November 30, 2012

OK, I am back, but bruised!

I have decided to return to writing this blog for my own therapy and amusement!  I enjoy writing about our Navy and I love to recall sea stories from my career.  Today's kids don't tell sea stories.  Instead, they play their computer games alone, with little interface with other humans and NO face to face interaction with humans.  I wonder how they ever get laid!

Some things have happened since I lost my mind.  A couple of old friends passed away.  One was GMMC Bobby Harvey.  He was a retired Navy Chief Gunner's Mate who started his career during the Korean War.  He served through the Viet Nam conflict and then retired.  He was one of the Navy's first missile Gunner's Mates and started out in the old Mk 4 Talos program.  After the Navy, Bobby was a tech rep with NOSOLANT/NAVSEACENLANT.  If you were a MK 10 Gunner's Mate on the East Coast, you knew Bobby Harvey!  He saved more MK 10 Gunner's Mates bacon than I can count.  Bobby was a moral man who would share his vast knowledge about the Navy and life with anyone who would listen.  He will be missed, and what is sad is there is no one to replace him!

Another loss was a young lady I worked with at NAVSEACENLANT.  Her name was Karen Jeffers.  She worked at 110% of her capability at all times.  She treated everyone with kindness and respect.  She had a severe heart attack almost 20 years ago.  I watched the paramedics used the "Paddles" to start her heart!  But she recovered, came back to work, and continued to treat all of us like we were her family.  I was sad to see her obituary this week.  Karen was one of those people who make going to work a little more pleasant!  She too, will be missed.

I bring these two "Shipmates" up to illustrate the point that a generation of exceptional people are passing away.  But the youth of today's generation don't know them nor notice their passing because they are too busy playing computer games!  Hey, You!  dumb Ass!  Put don't that controller and hag up your cell phone.  Go find someone with grey hair and listen to them!  Don't talk, just watch and listen.  You will learn much.  GOD gave you two ears, two eyes, and ONE mouth!  It was a sign!  You should observe and listen twice as much as you speak!

Last tidbit.  I saw a Navy commercial during the Thursday night football game.  It features an Arleigh Burke DDG and I looked at the MK 45 Mod 4 5"/62 gun mount.  I wondered, how far is the range on the longer barrel?  I Googled it.  The published range of the 5"/62 is 23 miles!!   Wow!! The 5"/54 was only 13 miles!  We should have lengthened the barrel sooner!  A 23 mile range with a laser guided projectile makes for a cheap weapon!  Maybe technology is good.




3 comments:

  1. Welcome back shipmate. Missed your sea stories/commom sense.

    ReplyDelete